"Safe Walking" notes by John Buster


Safe walking, for me, involves at least 10 elements, one for every toe I rely on.

1. My No. 1 rule: Never go out without your cellphone, adequately charged, especially if you'll be alone.

2. SHOE SOLES need rounded fronts & backs, not sharp edges that can trip us.

3. HEAD & EYES, when walking, should always be looking forward and down at 45° for shifts in level [broken sidewalks] and shifts in friction [ice, wet leaves, or clear plastic wrappers]. Look for tell-tale shadows and lip lines. When you spot one, lift up your front foot, and then step up on the "trip lip."

4. CORNERS: At street and path corners, scan 360° R & L for cars and bikes. Never walk like a mummy, with your eyes straight down or straight ahead. Alert eyes are crucial: Crashes with cars & bikes can be worse than falls. VISION? Again, for the same safety reasons, parkas & hoods MUST NOT cover our ears and eyes.

5. HANDS?  When walking, I NEVER put my hands in my pockets, no matter how cold they may be. Hands & arms are important for balance and braking falls. With my hands in my pockets.  I can't get my hands out and arms up in time to protect my head. So I'll fall on my face. Yes, my hands will be warm... but my face will be bloody. Bad trade-off!

6. ARMS?  Our arms don't get fair credit for all they do to protect us day and night.  Our arms were designed to provide critical balance, distancing and protection.  Use them for free, all the time you walk. THRESHOLDS signify width and [often] level changes, plus doors and new room obstructions too. To prepare my body for any odd changes, I put my elbows out. Now, I can brush the door frame right & left with my fingers, as I walk through it. And if it's dark, my fingers can switch on the hall or room lights too.

7. AT NIGHT when walking to the bathroom in the dark, I carry my arms bent at the elbow 90 degrees, at chest level with my hands in front. This allows me to use the weight & nerve endings in my hands, wrists & elbows as COUNTER WEIGHTS in case I'm off-balance. Another key way I use my forearms? As SHIELDS at night. They shield me in the dark . . . from walking blindly into open door jambs, etc.

8. STAIRCASES: Turn on the lights first. Then always grip the handrail with one hand. It creates a secure 3-POINT STANCE. This hand works as your insurance agent:  your hand grip [and your arm] means your upper body CANNOT hinge over your feet. This prevents you from falling headfirst 6-9 ft down the staircase, if your feet make one bad misstep.

9. When traversing curbs & steps, I have a trick: I lead with the same arm & foot. My arm swing helps lift my foot on that side. I consciously step on the middle of the curb's top, not on a possibly slippery edge.

10. Get graduate level guidance with PT:  Weekly Physical Therapy

Because we're all in this life together: sharing our best helps and bonds us.

 
John            


Comments